Monday, May 07, 2007

why did we have to meet on the night i lost my head?

In church yesterday I was clearly not paying the correct amount of attention, and found myself musing about something that really annoyed me between 2003 and 2005. This was part of the time of my life I spent working at The Cherry Tree restuarant, and one of the deserts they offered was a crème brûlée, but they didn't spell like that. I don't think I would have minded 'creme brulee', bearing in mind that the owners were a bit old and probably had at least a small amount of difficulty finding out how to type accented letters. But on the menu it was written as 'creme brulé'.

This annoyed me for three reasons.

  1. They have spelt it wrong, 'crème' is feminine and therefore requires an extra 'e' on the past tense verb, that is 'brûlée'.
  2. They have missed off the accent on 'crème', and they have missed off the other accent on 'brûlée'. (This wouldn't have annoyed me half as much if number three didn't apply.)
  3. They clearly mananged to accent 'brulé' once, so why can't they manage them all?

Let's take an all or nothing attitude on this sort of thing.

But that attitude is probably not helpful in a lot of areas of life. It is helpful in the sense that if something is going to be a little, or nothing, it'll probably be nothing. However, if something is going to be some, or all, you'll try and make it all, have it consume your life, begin to annoy you, and you will ultimately fail. So, in recognition of this, you'll go for nothing in all things. That way you will never fail.

All or nothing is therefore perhaps only a bad thing when combined with a fear of failure.

All or nothing can leave you open to never appreciate 'good'. But that depends on where you set the bar for 'all', or indeed 'nothing'.

All is subjective.

1 comment:

Tragediarista said...

I love your obsession with proper accents.