Friday, May 25, 2007

wearing tennis shorts made of stripes

I've been home, and now I'm back. Somehow blogging while at home just doesn't work so well.

I was supposed to completely gut my room and throw away the many, many items of junk that I mustn't really need because I've coped a whole year without out them. This didn't really happen. I have, to be fair, gone through all of my bank statements since 2004 and destroyed them all. I also managed to find all the bits of "useful paper" that I have stored safely in my room, and put them all together. I have also begun to collect a whole box and more of stuff that I don't want but could possibly be sellable. I didn't even think to open the box by my window to explore it's contents.

I started, but there is a long way to go. So now when I arrive home next week with the entire contents of my room here I will probably be unable to move. Never mind.

I was going to write about road works and their place in causing annoyance in my life, but I have now realised that in fact it is the absence of road works that has caused me irritation over the past week. The prime example being when the traffic on the A1079, which is already at almost double the normal volume due to the then lack of the A166, was stop-start for a full 5 miles going west and 3 miles going east. Why? Because some road-work-men had set up a set of traffic lights and some cones in the road! There were no actual "works" going on whatsoever! But, I hear you say, they were surely just preparing for the imminent digging up of the road. No. I drove back along that road just 4 or 5 hours later and the men, the lights, and the cones had gone. They had done nothing. Equally irritating were the traffic lights by Merton/Murton yesterday. They had FINISHED resurfacing the road. The only reason we couldn't have 2 lanes of traffic at once was because the traffic lights were in the way. Fantastic.

Or not.

No comments: