Friday, March 02, 2007

your nightmares only need a year or two to unfold

Jo Whiley just played The Shins on radio one, that's the third time I've heard her do it in 3 weeks. I don't know whether to be pleased or not. I love them. I wish them success. If they get onto the playlist and therefore get played every four hours I won't get sick of them. But I hate the way Radio One tells us what to like. If they get really popular will it be even more impossible to get a ticket? Or will it be better to start with because they'll actually play in the UK more than twice a year? Will they "sell out"? Will the public like the crap songs the best? Will everyone continue to love them, and will they continue to be big when they have gone crap? I liked "I bet you look good on the dancefloor", but let's be honest, the Artic Monkeys are crap. But they're "big", Radio One gets artificially excited about their new single, tells us to like it and a nation of truckies and beauty therapist obey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, definitely agree. Though one solution is definitely to go for political or Christian bands! Apparently Radio 1 never likes what they have to say, so they never get too popular. When you turn out to two gigs in 8 days by the same two personal favourite artists and they recognise you, and yet they're both really amazing acts, you know you've found a rare bit of respite.

The rest of the time, its a case of resigning yourself to never seeing the bands you hear daily, thus reducing them to simply a sound in the background. I find this to be a major issue with so called indie music right now.