Saturday, February 17, 2007

you haven't laughed since january

Or, you haven't written anything half-good since January.

The other day, in Russian class, we got asked, as oft we do "Kem ty khochesh' ctat' posle okonchanuia universiteta?". As usual, I answered "Ia ne znaiu kem ia khochu ctat' posle okonchanuia universiteta". Polly Jones, the demi-legend, replied "Betty, ty khochesh' ctat' pisatelem?". I replied "niet". But actually maybe I do.

Maybe I want to be the sort of person who can not only let their th0ughts escape their well-meaning but essentially imprisoning mind but indeed organise them on paper in such a clear and eloquent fashion that for years and decades to come they are read, devoured and treasured. Maybe I want my thoughts to be universally loved, hated, accepted, despised. Maybe I want academics to spend their post-Doc years debating which translations convey to the non-English reader the intricacies of my style. Maybe I want people to find solace in my words. Maybe I want to be quoted in times of national distress, or national joy. Maybe I want to contribute.

Thought of the day : Sometimes the thing that is there is hidden from view.

No comments: